• Frequently Asked Questions

    Below are some frequently asked questions by patients and parents at Sound Pediatrics. We're always available to answer your questions and encourage you to contact our office if you have any remaining questions.

    Are you taking new patients?

    We are closed to accept new patients in order to best serve the families currently in our practice. Thank you for your understanding.

    What types of insurances do you take?

    We take most of the insurance.  For specific questions, please contact by email.

    What services does Sound Pediatrics provide?

    Anyone 18 years of age or younger may come in for well-child checkups, endocrine consultations, vaccinations, TB testing, vision and hearing screening, ear cleaning/lavage, or urgent care visits. We can remove stitches and staples but do not do stitching or stapling in our clinic. We do, however, apply steri-strips (special thin bandages) for cuts or lacerations in our office. We can and do swab throats for Rapid Strep tests to be picked up by the couriers of Quest Diagnostics. We do not offer any laboratory work, radiology work, or PAP smears.

    What do I do if my child needs medical attention after hours?

    For any medical emergencies, please call 911. For urgent matters, please call 650-992-8668 or text Dr. Dong at 415-314-5188. For locations of urgent care clinics near you, check here for recommended clinics. Please also consult your child's insurance card for their nurse line if provided.

    At what ages should my child have their routine doctor’s appointments?

    Well-child checkups are typically scheduled at 2-4 days of age, 1 month, 2 months, 4 months, 6 months, 9 months, 12 months, 15 months, 18 months, 21 months, 2 years, 2 1/2 years, 3 years and every year thereafter.

    How far in advance should I schedule my child’s next routine visit?

    We typically schedule a patient’s next well-child checkup appointment at the end of each office visit. However, if you need a physical exam for school admission, camp admission, or travel abroad, please plan ahead and schedule the exam as soon as you are aware of the need. After-school and Saturday slots generally fill up quite quickly.

    What do I do if my child just needs a vaccine?

    If your child only needs a vaccine, and not a doctor’s appointment, we can help you schedule an injection-only appointment, which will either be administered by a Medical Assistant or the Clinician.

    What should I do if I’m out of town with my child and he/she becomes sick?

    If this situation occurs during regular office hours, we can help assess the situation and determine what course of action, if any, is necessary. If this occurs during hours in which our office is closed, you may choose to seek care at a local pediatrician’s office, urgent care clinic, or emergency room. We recommend you contact your insurance company to inform them of the situation and have them assist you in locating a participating provider in your area.

    What do I need to do if my child needs to see a Specialist?

    If your child needs to see a specialist or get a second opinion, we are here to assist you with the referral. In order for us to generate the necessary paperwork and help you in choosing the right specialist, an office visit to fully assess your child’s condition may be necessary. Some referrals may need authorization from your insurance provider before your specialist appointment. Please allow us time to get that approval for you. If you are a PPO (Preferred Provider Organization) member, you won’t need a referral necessarily from our office in order to make an appointment with a specialist. If you are a HMO (Health Maintenance Organization) member of Brown and Toland Physicians or Hill Physicians, a referral from your PCP (primary care physician) is required.

    Click here for a more comprehensive document.


    What is your medication refill policy?

    All refill requests should be sent via the MyCarePlan app or the patient portal to avoid any miscommunications. Dr. Dong will assess your request and respond via portal.

    What do we need to do if we are moving our child to another provider?

    We enjoyed having you and your family in our practice and thank you for trusting your child’s health with us. Please fill out a medical record release form so that we can transfer your records to your next provider. Allow us a minimum of one week to process your request. There may be a fee associated with your request depending on what format the record needs to be prepared.


    As you are exiting our practice, we would greatly appreciate any feedback. Send us a message and let us know what we did well and what we can improve!